Monday, 19 March 2012

Trippingly on the tongue...

Walking in the park this week (spring is here!), I had a bit of a stumble - and fell, landing like a mighty redwood (my poor knees!). Embarrassing, yes.

But at least it gave me an idea for the blog, as it got me thinking about another place I sometimes stumble – audiobook narrating!

I’m a pretty fluent reader, but sometimes I hit a particular kind of brain-freeze glitch and I just can’t get over it. I’ll make the same mistake several times in a row and it gets worse with each retake, as I come toward the Problem Syllables like a skittish horse heading to a tricky jump...

I’m sure I’m not the only one who suffers this problem - and over the years, I’ve come up with a solution!

This is what works for me: As I approach the trouble spot, I start to do a math problem in my head. It can’t be anything like simple addition – double-digit multiplication usually does the trick – something like 27 x 19. Struggling to work it out usually tricks my brain into letting my mouth get the tongue-twister out.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on!

Photo by Joe Schlabotnik

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I often have to take a slight, mini-breath right before, or in between, the syllables, to get them right. Next time I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! Let me know if it works for you...

      Delete