Saturday, 16 October 2010

Is there a VOctor in the house?

I’ve got a stinking cold. 

It’s the first one I’ve had in a long time – and a cold isn’t really a big deal... unless you’re a voiceover!

Many years ago, when I worked in an office, a cold wasn’t a problem. I either stayed home with chicken soup and daytime TV, or I went in and snuffled my way through the day.

It’s not even that big a problem when I’m voice directing. I might feel lousy, but I can still do my job (although voice artists are rarely thrilled to be sharing studio air with someone horking up a lung).

But for a voiceover – a cold is a disaster. Unless jobs can be rescheduled, it often means losing work. 

So it’s no wonder that mythical ‘voice restoring’ remedies abound! I thought I’d list a few of them here:

Floradix: This tonic was recommended to me by chocolate-and-honey-voiced Colin McFarlane – and as a preventative, I think it works. I started taking it daily two years ago, and this is the first cold I’ve had since then (whereas I normally get about three a year – hazard of the profession!).

Pineapple: Great for cutting through gunk (sorry!), particularly bronchial stuff. I live on the stuff, fresh and juiced, if I have a cold.

Raw garlic: Great. Just hope you’re not sharing the booth with anyone!

Onions: Baked with olive oil and salt, or a little honey, this is said to be a great for the voice. Delicious, but I have my doubts as to the therapeutic effects...

Tabasco: The late, great Bill Hootkins swore by this. He’d keep a little bottle with him whenever he was recording, and every so often would have a couple of drops in a glass of water. I’ve not tried this one yet – but next week could be the time!

What about you – any remedies to share?

Photo by Cavin

No comments:

Post a Comment